The Importance Of Regular Ear Cleaning
Before we get into cleaning your hearing aids, its important to touch on the importance of keeping your ears clean, too. Your hearing aids go into your ears, which is where they pick up earwax and skin debris. If you look after your ears, cleaning your hearing aids will be much easier. The stimulation of your hearing aids inside your ear can also cause more earwax production, so youll want to clear it away to avoid buildup and blockages.While many people clean their ears using q-tips, this is actually unsafe and not recommended. Instead, use the swab to gently brush around the entrance of your ear, and wipe your outer ear clean with a wet rag. This will get rid of any earwax that has worked its way to the surface of your ear. If you are prone to blockages, speak to your doctor about a professional ear cleaning.
Cleaning Your Hearing Aids: A Guide
Upkeep is an important part of owning and maintaining hearing aids. With proper care, your hearing aids can go long periods of time without professional cleanings or repairs. While emergencies and accidents do occur, you can prevent issues by knowing how to properly clean your hearing aids.
Whether youre still getting the hang of owning hearing aids, or just want to brush up on your cleaning routine, theres no harm in making sure that youre taking care of your hearing aids properly. Cleaning hearing aids can seem daunting at first, since many people feel anxious messing with devices that they care about. However, knowing how to clean your hearing aids is something that will feel natural after enough maintenance sessions. If youre looking for some guidance on how to store and clean your hearing aids, this article will walk you through what you need to know.
How To Clean In
When cleaning an ITE model, follow these steps:
- Focus your cleaning on the openings in the device including the microphone ports using a soft-bristle toothbrush or a brush provided by your audiologist to clear away built-up wax. Hold the device with the opening you are cleaning facing downward so any loose particles will fall out of the hearing aid instead of staying lodged inside.
- Next, use a wax pick or hook to clear anything out of the holes that didnt come out with the brush.
- Finish by wiping the entire device with a clean, dry cloth or tissue. This will remove debris from the case of the hearing aid.
Don’t Miss: What Pills Do Hiv Patients Take
How To Clean Ite Hearing Aids
Hearing aid wearers with in-the-ear hearing aids have a different cleaning routine than those with behind-the-ear hearing aids. While a hearing aid professional can give you a demonstration of the process, here is an online guide to help you clean your ITE hearing aid.
- Find the openings on your hearing aid, and check for any earwax or debris buildup.
- Facing the openings downward, gently brush at your hearing aid with a small hearing-aid brush or unused toothbrush. Holding your hearing aid face-down will prevent the loose particles from getting stuck inside the openings.
- Next, use the small hook or wax-pick included in your hearing aid cleaning tools. Clear out the holes, and make sure to dislodge any debris so it wont become stuck inside.
- Finally, wipe down your hearing aid with a clean cloth.
Tips To Keep Your Hearing Aids Out Of Harms Way
Hearing aids are reasonably robust, but there are some things you can do to ensure they remain in working order longer. Most importantly, keep them as dry as possible, dont force them open and be gentle when handling them.
Also Check: Free Hiv Testing San Francisco
How To Cleanse Oticon Devices
When cleaning your Oticon device, you should always wear gloves, and use a wet wipe with the commercial disinfectant included. Water-based disinfectants are the best, especially those with a solution of 70% isopropanol. Make sure to wipe the entire surface of the microphone transmitter with your disinfectant wipe, and avoid directly touching any microphone openings. Let the microphone transmitter dry for a few minutes before using your Oticon device again.
How To Cleanse Widex Units
Your Widex hearing aid should not be cleaned using water or any other kind of fluids, since any of these can damage internal components. You should always use a soft, dry cloth in conjunction with the special brush which you are given when you first purchase a device. Remove any earwax with the brush or the cloth, keeping in mind that it will always be easier to remove in the morning after it has dried out.
Also Check: Best Medicine For Itchy Hives
How To Clean Bte Hearing Aids
Behind-the-ear hearing aids have a similar cleaning process, but the design of the hearing aid changes things somewhat. Many people with BTE hearing aids also have additional tools to keep their hearing aids in fit shape.
- Use a soft brush to remove any wax or dry skin from the outer casing of your hearing aid.
- Remove the earmolds from your hearing aid. This is the part that goes inside your ear, so it requires the most cleaning. Wipe these down, and make sure to soak them in soapy water from time to time. This will prevent discoloration and deterioration. Just make sure the earmolds are completely dry before putting them back on your hearing aid.
- A bulb blower can be used to force air out of the tubing of your hearing aid. Water inside the tubing can cause issues, so try to get as much of it out as possible. It is recommended that you buy a dehumidifier to ensure dryness, but if you dont have one, simply set out your hearing aids overnight.
Hearing Aid Cleaning Products
HearingDirect stock a variety of products that tackle hearing aid maintenance.
There are drying containers, cushions and capsules that remove moisture cleaning wipes to get rid of unwanted bacteria and wires to thread through the smallest, trickiest places.
Such products are designed to keep your hearing aid working to its optimum.
We’ve chosen just a few examples from our range to give you an idea of what’s available:
- Signia Cleaning Wire Pack of 5 – These can be used to thread through tubing to remove wax and other debris. They can then be easily cleaned using an anti-bacterial wipe.
- SmartWipe Hygienic Wipes Box of 35 – Complete with dispensing box, these anti-fungal and antibacterial wipes are ideal for the daily maintenance of your hearing aid.
Also Check: Where Does Hiv Come From
Keeping Your Ears Clean
Keeping your ears clean is essential to caring for your hearing aids.
While in and on your ears, hearing aids come into contact with earwax and skin debris. Therefore, if you keep your ears clean, its easier to keep your hearing aids clean.
Hearing aids stimulate earwax production and make it more difficult for earwax and debris to escape your ears.
Clean the entrance to your ears regularly with a warm moist cloth. This will help to clear earwax and skin debris that has worked its way to the surface of your ear.
Dont try to clean inside your ears with earbuds, q-tips, or bobby pins. You could easily push earwax or debris further into your ear or even perforate your eardrum.
In The Ear Hearing Aids
- Stage 1 – Carry out a full visual inspection to ensure you have located the dirt that requires removal.
- Stage 2 -To clean your hearing aid, you will need to use a soft, dry cloth or wipe and keep all moisture away from the area. Gently remove any wax or skin debris that may be blocking up any apertures. Most In Ear hearing aids are also supplied with a brush for removing wax etc. If you do not have one, then we have the Hearing Aid Brush with Magnet and Wax Loop.
- Stage 3 – Place your hearing aid into a drying container overnight to get rid of any excess moisture. For best results, leave the battery door open.
You May Like: How Can You Get Aids Without Being Sexually Active
How To Cleanse Unitron Devices
Your Unitron devices should be cleaned every day with a soft cloth or a special auditory aid brush. Do not use any solvents or alcohol, because these can damage internal circuitry and components. Use your cleaning brush to remove debris and earwax, and make use of your dehumidifier kit so that moisture can be prevented from building up inside Unitron device.
Hearing Aid Cleaning Kit
Cleaning kits contain the basic tools needed for cleaning your devicewax brush/pick, wire loop, cloth, vent cleaner, and carrying case to protect each item.
Some cleaning kits will include a screwdriver and a battery magnet to open the battery compartment and safely remove your hearing aid batteries.
Cleaning kits can be purchased online, at your local pharmacy or drugstore, at superstores like Target or Walmart, or visit any hearing aid center.
Don’t Miss: Best Prices On Hearing Aids
How To Clean A Bte Hearing Aid
Follow the steps below to clean your behind-the-ear style hearing aid.
As needed, you can wash the earmold with warm water and soap. Be sure to allow the earmold and tubing to dry completely before reattaching to the hearing aid. DO NOT use chemical cleaners unless they are specially formulated for earmolds.
Tip: Use a bulb blower to force the water out of the tubing to promote quicker drying.
How To Safely Clean Your Hearing Aids
Depending on what type of hearing aid you use, you might require different methods of cleaning. Make sure to talk to your HCP before deciding on any type of cleaning plan.
For behind-the-ear hearing aids, remove obvious debris with a soft cloth, and make sure to take out the earmolds for cleaning. They can be wiped down with a cloth and set to soak in warm water once a week. Do not re-apply the earmolds until they have fully dried out. It is recommended that they sit overnight before you put them back on the hearing aid.
Brushes and hooks are the primary tools for cleaning in-the-ear hearing aids. Hold the hearing aid downward while doing this, so any loose debris falls out instead of getting lodged inside. Pick any excess earwax out with the hook, and dust them off with a dry cloth. Never expose any part of the hearing aids to water.
You should never attempt to clean the inside of your hearing aids. The internal components are very delicate, and you can very easily damage them. If you have concerns about the state of your hearing aids, take them to a professional.
Recommended Reading: When Does Stage 1 Acute Hiv Infection Typically Occur
What Do I Need To Clean My Hearing Aids
The following accessories are required for cleaning:
- Cleaning cloths, which are already moistened
- Alternatively detergent/disinfectant to moisten a gentle cleaning cloth
- Drying accessories
It is important not to use aggressive cleaning agents or detergents. You can purchase suitable cleaning accessories and products in our shop.
Hearing Aid Care Tips
To extend the life of your hearing aid, batteries and prevent additional hearing loss, follow these care tips.
- Wash your hands before handling your hearing aids.
- Store your device in a safe, dry place.
- Keep your hearing aids away from children or pets.
- Turn off your hearing aids when youre not wearing them.
- Clean your device at the end of the day to allow time for everything to dry.
- Consider investing in a hearing aid dehumidifier if your device collects a lot of moisture.
- Dont wear your hearing aids while swimming, in the shower, or while using hairspray or a hairdryer.
- Every six months or so, schedule an appointment with your hearing care professional for a routine hearing test for more detailed cleanings.
If you notice additional hearing loss while using your device, even after cleaning, schedule an appointment with a hearing care professional or at a hearing center, or we can help you find the best online hearing tests here.
You May Like: Is Hiv Easy To Get
Hearing Aid Brand Reviews
Caring.com is a leading online destination for caregivers seeking information and support as they care for aging parents, spouses, and other loved ones. We offer thousands of original articles, helpful tools, advice from more than 50 leading experts, a community of caregivers, and a comprehensive directory of caregiving services.
Why Clean Your Hearing Aids
Cleaning your hearing aids is one of the most important things you can do to keep them operating in tip-top condition. Proper maintenance can even extend the life of your hearing instruments and save you money.
You already made a big investment in your hearing technology, so it is a good idea to learn how to take good care of them. Hearing Group will teach you how to keep your hearing aids sounding great as well as what hearing aid cleaning tools you can use to make cleaning easy.
Learn how to clean your hearing aids with Hearing Group or come in and visit our hearing specialists at your local hearing center. Find our stores throughout Kansas and Oklahoma.
You May Like: What Do Aids Do To Your Body
When To Get A Professional Cleaning
Hearing care professionals are trained to clean your hearing aids safely and efficiently. If you are unsure about how to properly clean your hearing aids, do not risk it. Take them to a professional and ask them for advice on how to clean your hearing aids. If you don’t have the proper tools, they can direct you towards a cleaning kit.
Regardless of your cleaning schedule, you should occasionally take in your hearing aids for a professional cleaning. Your HCP has specialized tools that can clean your hearing aids more thoroughly and will notice if anything isn’t right with your hearing aids.
Care Tips For Your Hearing Aids
To clean hearing aids at home, youre going to want to gather the right tools. A few indispensable items youll want to have handy are a wax pick and brush. Theres also a multi-tool you can get that contains both a brush and a wax loop for thorough cleaning. Earwax that accumulates and isnt cleaned off can damage the receiver over time. Always wash your hands before handling or cleaning your hearing aids. Establish good habits such as putting your hearing aids in after your morning hygiene routine and putting in hair sprays or gels.
Experts recommend that you clean your hearing aids before bedtime. Cleaning them at the end of the day will give them ample time to air out before you put them in again. Chemical wipes and alcohol can damage your hearing aids. Also, take good care of them by avoiding extreme temperatures. For example, avoid having them in your pocket in the cold winter weather or setting them on a table outside in the heat.
Also Check: Is Hiv Easy To Catch
Find Your Perfect Auditory Aid
When you consult with us at Harbor Audiology, we can custom fit you with a unit that will be ideal for restoring whatever level of auditory loss youre experiencing. Part of our service will also be to educate you about best practices for cleaning and maintaining your device, so that its always providing you outstanding service. Contact us today so we can work with you on a program that will restore your auditory health, and help you appreciate the world around you.
Consulting With A Professional
Its important to note that hearing aids should also be cleaned by a professional regularly. Speak to your audiologist about how often they recommend you have them cleaned by a professional. They have intricate tools and processes that will allow for a deep clean of all the parts.
Are you looking to consult with an audiologist regarding your hearing aids or do you need help cleaning your hearing aids? If so, then take the time to learn more about Adirondack Audiology and reach out with questions or to schedule an appointment call us today at 800-273-9536.
Also Check: Does Hiv Have Any Symptoms